Learn how to use the Find My app to help you find a misplaced device or personal item, such as how to view its location on a map or record it as lost.
If you’ve misplaced or lost an Apple device or personal item, simply use the Find My app on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running the most recent version of iOS or iPadOS, or a Mac running the most recent version of macOS and signed in with the same Apple ID. With the most recent version of watchOS, you can also use the Find Devices or Find Items applications on your Apple Watch.
You can also use the Find My app on a device owned by someone in your Family Sharing group, or sign in to iCloud.com/find on a web browser to locate a misplaced iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, Mac, AirPods product, or compatible Beats product.
Set up Find My I Phone Last Known Location to Find a Dead I Phone.
Does Find My iPhone work while the phone is turned off? Yes, if you have the Find My iPhone last known location feature enabled. If you do not enable this option, it will be considerably more difficult to locate a dead iPhone. The catch is that you must have enabled this feature before to losing your iPhone.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Click on your name.
- Select Find Me.
- Select Find My iPhone.
- Toggle Communicate Last Location, which will automatically send your device’s location to Apple when its battery is low.
- Pro Tip: Use Find My to set up notifications on your Apple Watch so you never lose your phone. These can be configured for your phone as well as other devices and products.
The Fundamentals of Finding a Lost I Phone
In this part, we’ll show you how to use the Find My iPhone app or iCloud.com to locate a missing iPhone that has died. If your iPhone’s battery dies, you’ll be taken to the last location your iPhone was before the battery died. If your lost iPhone is offline but not dead, the Find My app will use neighboring Apple devices to determine the missing iPhone’s current location.
You have three alternatives for finding an iPhone’s last location using Find My. The steps are the same if you’ve found the location of your misplaced iPhone:
- How to Recover a Stolen iPhone Using a Different Apple Device.
- How to Use Cloud.com to Locate a Misplaced iPhone.
- Find a Lost iPhone Using a Friend’s iPhone or iPad
- How to Recover a Lost iPhone Once It’s Found.
How to Recover a Stolen I IPhone Using a Different Apple Device
If you possess an iPad or a Mac, or if you share your location with a Family Sharing Group and have access to another group member’s iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you can use one of those devices to locate your missing iPhone, even if it’s dead.
On the smartphone you’re using, use the Find My app.
- Select the Devices tab.
- A map with a list of your Find My-enabled devices will appear.
- Choose your iPhone from the list of available devices.
How to Use I Cloud.Com to Locate a Dead I Phone
Here’s how to monitor your iPhone from a laptop or desktop web browser using iCloud.com’s Find My iPhone app:
- Go to icloud.com in a browser.
- Enter your Apple ID and password to log in.
- If prompted, click Allow to enable iCloud.com on the device in question and complete two-factor authentication.
- Select the Find iPhone app.
- At the top, select All Devices and then your missing iPhone.
- The map will show the location of your misplaced iPhone.
How to Recover a Stolen I IPhone Using Someone Else’s Phone
When using a different iPhone linked to someone else’s Apple ID to locate a dead iPhone, do not sign out of their ID in Settings; instead, utilize the Me tab in the Find My app to check in remotely. Remember to sign out after you’re finished so you don’t remain signed in on your friend’s iPhone.
- Launch the Find My Friends app on your friend’s iPhone.
- Choose the Me tab.
- Scroll to the bottom and select Help A Friend.
- You will be prompted to sign in to iCloud. Select Use Different Apple ID at the bottom of the pop-up notification if requested to log in using Touch or Face ID.
Sign in With Your Apple Id and Password.
Select Not Now when prompted to save your password.
To locate your misplaced iPhone, touch it in the list of devices at the bottom of the screen.
The screen will show a circle around the location of your iPhone and will zoom in if necessary.