Sonic the Hedgehog 2[b] is a 2022 action-adventure comedy film based on the Sega video game franchise (2020).
Sonic and Tails band up to find Master Emerald before Dr. Robotnik and Knuckles the Echidna do, all while dealing with the military group G.U.N.
Following the success of the original film, Paramount Pictures announced the sequel in May 2020, with Fowler returning as director, Casey and Josh Miller as writers, and Schwartz, Carrey, and the rest of the ensemble reprising their roles. The movie was shot in Vancouver and Hawaii from March to June 2021.
On March 30, 2022, Paramount Pictures and Sega Sammy Group released Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in theatres in a number of markets, and on April 8, 2022, Paramount Pictures and Sega Sammy Group released Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in theatres in the United States. The action sequences, performances, humor, and animated characters all garnered positive feedback, while the narrative, runtime, and pacing earned negative feedback.
- Ben Schwartz as Sonic the Hedgehog
- Colleen O’Shaughnessey as Miles “Tails” Prower
- Idris Elba as Knuckles
- Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik
- James Marsden as Tom Wachowski
- Tika Sumpter as Maddie Wachowski
- Natasha Rothwell as Rachel
- Adam Pally as Wade Whipple
- Shemar Moore as Randall
Sonic and his new friend Tails are all that stand between Dr Robotnik and his new ally, Knuckles the Echidna, when he returns to Earth with a new comrade, Knuckles the Echidna.
Sonic is ready for more freedom after settling in Green Hills, so Tom and Maddie agree to leave him at home while they go on vacation. Dr. Robotnik reappears, this time with a new companion, Knuckles, in search of an emerald with the ability to both construct and destroy civilizations. Sonic pairs up with Tails, his own sidekick, on a quest to recover the emerald before it falls into the wrong hands. The film stars Jim Carrey, James Marsden, and Ben Schwartz and is directed by Jeff Fowler.
When Dr. Robotnik returns to Earth with a new ally in the form of Knuckles the Echidna. Only Sonic and his new pal Tails stand in their way. Sonic is back with a bang, and this is without a doubt the most entertaining of all video game adaptations ever made. It was nice to see Jim Carrey repeat his role as Dr. Robotnik; he did a fantastic job the first time around, and he does it even better this time around. There were so many times in this film that brought back memories of video games for me; I think the filmmaker did an excellent job and clearly knew his way around Sonic Adventure. This is a terrific family film for all the kids to enjoy, and for those of us who grew up playing Sonic on the Dreamcast/Nintendo, these past few years have sparked a lot of nostalgia in the film industry.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Box Office Collection
as of May 2, 2022, including $178 million in the United States and Canada and $187.2 million in other countries.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was released alongside Ambulance and the Everything Everywhere All at Once extension in the United States and Canada. In its first weekend, it was expected to bring in at least $55 million from 4,232 cinemas.
The beginning of spring break in 15% of K–12 schools coincided with the premiere of the film, which is aimed at people aged 16 to 25.
On its first day, the film grossed $26.8 million, including $6.25 million from Thursday night previews, more than double the previous film’s gross.
Over the course of its three-day opening weekend, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 earned $72.1 million, surpassing Sonic the Hedgehog’s ($58 million) and Bruce Almighty’s ($68 million) three-day debuts to become Jim Carrey’s highest three-day domestic opening and Paramount Pictures’ biggest three-day opening since 2014.
During the first weekend of its release, six million tickets were sold in the United States and Canada. It shattered Sonic the Hedgehog’s previous opening record for a video game film adaptation.
|Date||Rank||Weekly||%± LW||Theaters||Change||Avg||To Date||Week|
|Apr 29-May 5||2||$14,125,961||-25.5%||3,801||-8||$3,716||$163,701,471||4|
Review and Ratings
- Based on 33 reviewers, Metacritic gave the film 47 out of 100 weighted average scores, indicating “mixed or mediocre reviews.”
- On an A+ to F scale, audiences polled by CinemaScore awarded the film an average grade of “A” (the same as the first), while those polled by PostTrak gave it an 87 percent positive review, with 74 percent indicating they would definitely recommend it.
- “Jim Carrey’s reprised portrayal as a wicked freak helps this fast-paced, family-friendly video-game-movie sequel maintain a refreshing humor,” said Amy Nicholson of The New York Times, who gave the film a good review. Rogerebert.com’s Nell Minow scored the movie two stars out of four, writing, “Yes, we recognize that we’re plagiarising from better films. With three different tales that mix comedy and action, it’s over-plotted.”
- “Sonic the Hedgehog 2 brings all the wit and joy of its predecessor, while also being deliciously more true to its source material,” said IGN’s Alex Stedman, who gave the film a seven out of ten ratings.
- “The screenplay reveals actual effort, and Jim Carrey gets to be unconstrained in his performance, leading a surprisingly pleasant follow-up,” wrote Carlos Aguilar of The Wrap in his review of the picture.
- “There’s not much to spoil about Sonic the Hedgehog 2 because there’s not much to say about it, other than it’s pleasantly funny and relatively competently assembled,” observed Leslie Felperin of The Guardian, who scored the film three out of four stars.
- “While Sonic the Hedgehog’s unexpected positive reception could have put its sequel in a difficult spot because it comes in with higher expectations, the Jeff Fowler-directed Sonic the Hedgehog 2 clears the higher bar, delivering a better movie in nearly every way,” wrote Brian Shea of Game Informer in his review.
- “Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is at its most creative when it’s throwing in these sly hints that will appeal to fans who have yearned to see this universe come to life on the screen in this fashion with these characters,” wrote Ross Bonamie of Collider.
- “Sonic’s second excursion is little more than a half-baked half-term diversion tool — though Jim Carrey’s wildly devoted performance nearly rescues the day,” wrote John Nugent of Empire Magazine, who gave the film two out of five stars.
- Entertainment’s Brian Lloyd
- “Idris Elba as Knuckles is the most galaxy-brain casting concept ever devised,” ie stated of the film, giving it three out of five stars.
- The film received a positive review from Plugged In’s Bob Hoose, who stated, “In short, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 won’t get you the gold ring right away, but by the time you reach the flag-waving goal, it won’t disappoint the kids or their “fanboy” parents.
- “In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, there is no obstacle that its namesake speed demon can’t outrun,” commented Thomas Floyd of The Washington Post, giving the film two out of four stars. With that in mind, it’s especially surprising that this video game-inspired sequel feels slow.”
- The film received a positive review from Siddhant Adlakha of IndieWire “It’s a visual soup with nothing standing out,” she remarked. Despite Marsden’s best attempts, he is once again unable to reach Sonic’s eye-line (a production kerfuffle that would be funny, were it not also another reminder of VFX crunch). Who could blame Marsden’s character for not wanting to stare into a soulless blue void?”